Tuesday, September 30

Sleeping Arrangements Part II

30th September
It’s an age thing isn’t it, wanting your own room to fart and snore away in to your heart’s content. But as a child I loved sharing a room, especially with other kids. Between the ages of five and eight years I slept in a lot of other households and had some very ‘formative’ experiences, mostly in a good way. There was the Grandmother who let me share her big feather bed - I imagined it as our ship, sailing through the torrid waves of smelly, peach-coloured full-body corsets, vests and big knickers that surrounded our vessel. My grandmother would fetch us coffee with a big slug of rum in the morning and then we’d sit in bed getting sozzled while she read me the latest episode of her blood-and-guts novel.

The only sleeping place I wasn't keen on was at the Sunday-School Aunties who had picturess of morbid subjects like The Slain Wives of Bluebeard on their walls. When I stayed here, a door was laid over the bath for me to sleep on - which was a bit like having an en-suite now I think of it, except that other people could come in and have a pee in the night.

2 comments:

  1. Your grandmother sounds wonderful. I was always bowled over by the decadence of mine who had a biscuit barrel by her bed.

    More on your childhood required now Lulu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK - after the rum, when we were both drunk, I'd get to colour her hair purple and set it, sometimes I'd cut it, then she'd do mine. I'm six years old remember

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails