Tuesday, January 10

Coping with death



is tough and is a difficult concept for a child, my niece (age 5) and nephew (age 9)  lost  two grandparents last year, the 9-year old was beside himself with grief and decided to do something about it by raising money for Cancer Research and have a bake sale. He wrote to various supermarkets and packaging companies to ask if they'd donate ingredients and other things he needed. The local vicar said that he could hold the sale after Sunday service just before Christmas and my nephew posted about his endeavour on facebook (via his mum).

Orders came flooding in and by the end of the church porch sale he'd raised £700 which is bloody impressive.

this is the boy 4 years ago making a Star Wars birthday cake.



My 5-year old niece is still trying to work out what 'death' is and is currently doing a star jump after every time she crosses a road, shouting triumphantly with every leap  


I'M STILL ALIVE  



(photo credit: James Prinz)

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful niece and nephew. Thank you for sharing those stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are pretty wonderful - that's my pirate buddy there

      Delete
  2. I always thought that little pirate would go on to better things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed too. They sound like lovely children.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails