Friday, July 3

The aftermath





There was a big party last week - For one whole month I was clearing clearing away ... everything untidy and/or embarrassing out of sight, cleaning the house, tidying the garden, making room for us all to squeeze inside should the rain come ...

And then it was over - the withdrawal process has involved:

i)  physical infirmities

ii)  cooking experiments  -  a horrible bread salad, some dull cake, nice chocolate/rhubarb/biscuit thing, baked apricots, walnut biscuits and a terrific baked custard (lavender and honey if you're asking)

iii) un-mending - in the first case taking a shirt with too-tight sleeves, snipping it into a short-sleeved shirt, then a sleeveless shirt, then a sleeveless shirt with roomy armholes, then a binful of tiny bits of cotton

In between these performances I am making the house normal again.


17 comments:

  1. iii. Source material for more bunting! Win-win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is already one restraining order against me for obsessive bunting

      Delete
  2. Baked apricots and lavender honey custard are excellent for most physical infirmities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. especially in conjunction with walnut biscuits

      Delete
  3. i hate prepping for a party! *sigh* the custard sounds divine! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more you clear the more you find that needs clearing *double sigh* xxx

      Delete
  4. I have a gorgeous satin dress white with red and black butterflies on it. It has a deep v neck in back. The problem is it has a full skirt like a shirt waist dress. I'm willing to bet there are 49 yards or gorgeous satin in that full skirt once I cut it up. I aim to sew it into a sheath and keep the v neck shape in the back take out the zipper then add it back in. I've never made my own pattern before but I think I can do it because I can see it in my head. You inspire me. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have more skill than me sweetheart xxxx
      PS do you like bunting?

      Delete
    2. Actually I already know that you have more skill than me - you make actual clothes than a person can wear!!!

      Delete
    3. NO SKILL WHATSOEVER! I don't know really what bunting is except for the terrifying nursery song Bye bye baby bunting, daddy's gone a hunting. xo

      Delete
  5. I also have bin bags full of cotton bits... but I keep them. I am optimistic, in the face of reason, that one day I will make something of them.... possibly a patchwork dog blanket.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like getting ready for a party, but it takes me weeks to put everything away again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant illustration. Brilliant bunting. Are you done with it now? Could I, perhaps, trade you something for an envelope full of it? I LOVE bunting. (Perhaps you didn't know this about me). Sadly, I suffer from a condition that makes it impossible for me to cut fabric or sew anything. It's a kind of handicapping condition. This forces me to hold my hat out for bunting. "Will work for bunting" - sort of like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will send you a string of bunting Kim. I'm leaving most of it up untill it falls off it's strings but I can spare a section for you xxx

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's lovely. Thank you.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails