Monday, September 3

we have a Chinese guest this month

she looks absurdly young to be a professor of power electronics so naturally it's annoying to discover that she is only slightly younger than myself.

I watch her try to make sense of our house and her room. First of all we must address the FengShui, A mirror is immediately moved to a different situation

'The mirror must not see the bed  

I am asked to remove a small embroidered jacket that is framed and hangs on the wall as decoration

clothes must not be on the wall  

There is a large chest of drawers in her room, shelving and some hanging space but she doesn't want to use these, she has ordered a wire frame clothes airer

the clothes must see the sun  

In the kitchen my stove seems impossible and while she is struggling with my utensil logic she tells me that she can't switch on the lamps in her room, I describe the sort of switch to look for, miming the position and gesture to turn on and off, mime isn't enough, I use sound  - she finds this funny and I remember how differently cultures use sound for things, I am probably using the Chinese sound for 'frog' to explain 'light switch' and she thinks I am mad.


Before heading out to the university she gives me with a large red heart, resplendent in gold tassels and stuffed with  lavender, I am directed to put it in my car for good luck.


6 comments:

  1. Confucius say: "Rude house guest should get her FengShui ass to a hotel."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whether you say "fang shway" or "feng shu-ee", I reckon moving the ash trays is just a lot of hooey. (not by Ogden Nash)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But we all love our various sorts of hooey

      Delete
  3. Blimey, she sounds high maintenance.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually she's trying really hard not to be ... failing ... but I appreciate her efforts xx

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails