Wednesday, November 21

I parked the car

and started hauling grocery shopping out of it. Distress noises from another vehicle engine caused me to turn and watch two young men getting their car stuck in the cul de sac outside my house, it's tough to turn a car around there, being on a steep slope, even if you manage the manoeuvre it ruins the clutch, residents just reverse themselves out and back all the way down the road. These boys were university freshers, Boy 1 had a smart new car and just passed his test, he got out of the drivers seat so that Boy 2 who passed last week could show him how to do it, he made some weedy revs, took the handbrake off - the car lurched forward and stuck itself into a lampost with a smashing big sound

Stunned Silence    

the boys got out of the car 


One of our neighbours is a huge man who really loves Jesus, he normally wears a dayglo gilet and carries a placard but today he was without these accessories, so the boys though he was a proper grown up, the Jesus Man was pointing at the car, telling them how it was eternally bonded to that post now and he was starting to get a bit loud about The End of Times, the boys looked close to tears.  They couldn't see me because I am a woman, I said would you like me to get it out?   Boy 1 finally spotted me and said Yes Please Sweetheart in the way that men used to speak to secretaries in the '70s so I got in the driving seat, revved it off the lampost and Evel Knievelled backwards to the end of the road -  that's how a Sweetheart drives

7 comments:

  1. They called you Sweetheart??!!! Cheeky buggers. You should have driven off in it and made them cry even harder :-)
    If I'm called 'sweetheart' or 'love' my general policy is to return the compliment with a 'darling'....or 'babes'.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came over all 'mummy' when they finally caught up with me, saying'that was a horrid noise wasn't it, you must have had a nasty fright, poor you'

      Delete
    2. To be fair, I would have done the same as you :-)
      Sx

      Delete
  2. "Revved it off the post and Evel Knievelled backwards..."
    I wish I could have seen that! Steep hill? pfft

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - they don't call us Grrrrlzzz for no reason

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails