Friday, March 1

What's my motivation?

Drove to the seaside for an icy swim this morning along with several other people. My fellow dippers seem to fall into two camps.

i) Mostly women; jumping-in, giggling and chatting about last night's telly
 
ii) Mostly men; doing 'distance,' wearing devices that chart the metrics of their swimming, much discussion about past and upcoming water-based challenges.  

I was dried and ready to head home at the same time as another Bristol-based swimmer, he accepted my offer of a lift back.  Maintaining a constant monologue about swim-races, marathons and cross-channel swimming events coming up over the next decade, he kept asking if I was planning to enter this or training for that (no - a thousand times no). I realised that he was trying to work out what my goal was - what was the point of my swimming - I could offer him no satisfactory explanation.

I have also joined a gym, I have been given a card where I must note down the heaviness of the weights that I can push or pull and how many times I can do it. I'm a few weeks in and have completed a row of figures on my first card, I note that I am pushing and pulling pretty much the same amount of weight that I was when I started and it dawned on me that my aim is simple - 'Don't Get Worse' - this can become my motto, my motivational mantra, I shall embroider it on a coat of arms and make myself a marching banner.


Later that day 

walking up the road, passed a grizzled-looking man who suddenly exclaimed MOTHERFUCKER
I startled and looked at him with raised eyebrows, he looked abashed and said - Not you - you look lovely

6 comments:

  1. Q: Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest, Sir?

    A: Because it is there.

    George Leigh Mallory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew who said that - until now - thank you! xx

      Delete
  2. That is a most excellent mantra. I shall keep it in mind in my (admittedly feeble) efforts to deal with advancing years.
    goes off chanting "don't get worse, don't get worse..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To the tune of 'here we go here we go'? xx

      Delete
  3. I agree with dinah! It does make me wonder why some people feel the need to push for an answer regarding another's motivation or goals. I've been tempted ask,"Why do you care?" but I rarely ask, I guess I simply don't care. xoxo *don't get worse, don't get worse*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! We're on the same page, Savvy. Now, if I could just remember which book...

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails