Wednesday, January 13

It's been a tough week



David Bowie died first thing Monday. In the evening I walked to the bus stop and the top part of the post office tower was spinning with a lit up a message to him  and in Brixton there was a mass David Bowie singalong - it was a very emotional day.  

I sat on the top deck but didn't pay attention to my actual seat until I wanted to get off the bus and realised that the long ride had melted a gob of well chewed gum onto my jean-clad backside.   

Because getting off the top deck of a London bus can be a God-awful affair and because of David Bowie and because I was ravenous, the gum was forgotten by the time I made it to the pavement. Back at the house that I am taking care of for strangers I put David Bowie music on and made supper.  

Then I sat in one of the expensive black leather dining chairs owned by the people who are trusting me to look after their home*, I sat in that chair and ate my delicious supper and then I stayed in the chair for a really long time watching old David Bowie videos. When I finally tried to stand up I couldn't because the gum on my jeans had welded my bottom onto the seat. I peeled myself off gently and then stared in horror at the mess.  

Warm gum smears worse the more you wipe. 

I panicked  but luckily I'm also the kind of girl who reads Top Tips  

I put my gummy jeans in the freezer along with a folded wet cloth that had a nubbly side and then I went to bed  

In the morning I chipped the gum off my jeans and rubbed the iced nubbley brick on the leather seat and it cleaned up like new. 

*bum-crayon cat house

Yay! My essay was delivered yesterday so I have words again   








6 comments:

  1. Whew! That *was* a tough week.I hope things get better now

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute in Brixton. Thanks for linking that.

    Also, thanks for the de-bubblegumming tip — could come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too

      I'm beginning to think that everything can be solved if you have ice, lemon and salt

      Delete
  3. They were playing Bowie music on the radio (of course) as I took Paul to school and embarrassed myself and him by crying all the way there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does he pretend that you're just some stranger following him?

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails