Friday, December 20

I have never cooked a turkey in my life

this year a roast turkey will be my contribution to the family Christmas table, I shall get up at 5am to get it cooked, then transfer the hot bird into an insulated, leak-proof box and drive it for two hours up the motorway where it can join a selection of roast potatoes and vegetables on the festive dinner table.

Bringing the bird means that I must also provide stuffing and gravy. It's the gravy that will be my undoing. At the beginning of the week I watched Jamie Oliver demonstrate 'Get Ahead Gravy' - the surefire way to guarantee the Christmas meal is a smash hit. Get Ahead Gravy involves chicken wings - it turns out that I wasn't the only one watching Jamie because every last wing in the country has already gone to Gravyland. I've returned from the shops with a few drumsticks and a pig's trotter, I will have to invent a Fingers-Crossed Gravy.


In other news 

Today is the winter solstice, this one marks twenty years since I said 'I do' to The Man, I've written more about this here. Twenty years is apparently a China anniversary and I'm not sure whether we should be buying plane tickets or a dinner service to mark the event, he is currently working in California trying to avoid being eaten by pumas. He is expected to squeak home just minutes before Christmas.

8 comments:

  1. Happy Solstice and remember there is always tinned gravy just transfer it into a container and claim you made it. Yes I have no scruples.
    XO
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always have the best ideas Mrs King. Happy Solstice Lovely xxx

      Delete
  2. Well that was a jolly little flashback to the wedding of the year!(Perhaps not the Oreo incident...
    As for the gravy...I'm sure you can Bisto your way out of trouble.Or do as Ms King suggests. Happy anniversary/Christmas/solstice, Lulu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Di, I hope your festivities were fun. Happy New Year to you xxxx

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!!
    I've never cooked a turkey either, so all the best and I'll cross my fingers for you too.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love weddings, but I especially love anniversaries!! Big love to you and The Man! The MITM and I celebrated 50 years this past March. Here's to love and also to baking turkeys and making gravy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails