Friday, June 29

I'm basically a mermaid these days





recent trips to Devon have offered many opportunities to get in the water and in Britain it can be a bit chilly. My first sea dip in May made me dizzy and my hands felt like they'd been stamped on - for some reason this makes me feel heroic.


I've also been walking along the river Dart. Today I found a good skinny-dipping spot. Being naked seems to automatically join people into a sort of club, pleasantries are exchanged in a manner that doesn't happen in 'textile situations'*   


*I'm practising this new context for 'textile' since I discovered that's how naturists refer to people who wear clothing, such as this naturist report on a campsite on Slapton Sands


"...a really good site, with what must be unique co-existence in this country. Large field with views to the sea - top two thirds of site textile, bottom third naturist, with just an open post and rail fence to mark an informal division. No gates, and the fence is open to drive / walk round at both ends. Very easygoing and relaxed. All facilities, apart from a fresh water tap, are on the textile side, so need to dress to access them."


image: Barry Lewis - Natural Theatre Company in London

9 comments:

  1. It's so hot here (100f/38c), I could go for a cold swim there regardless of textile status!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...need to dress to access facilities." Something about that makes me smile broadly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That doesn't read quite right! I had a big grin; I was not necessarily like what some Americans call women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like smiling broadly, I like being abroad

      Delete
  4. A glorious time to be in Devon as the mud has turned to dust :-)
    I've always wanted to go to Slapton, though I like to keep a firm grip on my textile situation - it's for the best!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slapton sounds like a lot of fun doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. (I thought I'd left a comment here already.)

    Anyway, it's been ages since I've gone skinny dipping which is probably a good thing! I've never heard the term "textile situations" but it makes sense! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great isn't it? I thoroughly recommend detextiling at an appropriate swimming spot. xxx

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails