Saturday, June 6

I have new neighbours


they are two men who are not as young as they'd like to be, one is filmstar handsome, the other is fair-haired and puts me in mind of Winnie-the-Pooh

A stone wall marks the boundary between our properties, it is built to waist-height. On top of this wall is a broken-saggy trellis and a heavy tangle of ivy - someone is coming to build a new trellis and I must take down the old one along with the vegetation. I called to Pooh when I saw him through the ivy curtain and I warned him that we would soon be very visible to each other but only for a short time.

Then I took down the old fence and it was so exposing like we were in each other's gardens and then my step-daughter walked out of next-door's house talking to the filmstar neighbour who, it turns out, is her new boyfriend.

My stepdaughter makes the proper introductions between us - the two men  are not so much younger than me but because one is the boyfriend of my stepdaughter I am cast as the mother-in-law and they are very polite and careful.

A new trellis has been erected but it is currently bald, we can still see through into each other's gardens quite easily.

This morning Pooh brought all his friends home after a night out clubbing. I was outside, watering the garden, hanging up washing and listening to their chatter and their disco music until they all passed out - except Pooh who was standing on his own near the new trellis with a cigarette and a can of beer, I was also near the new trellis so I said hello - he looked surprised and confused and he pulled up his t-shirt to scratch his big stomach in puzzlement and the smell of alcohol and chemicals was so strong that I was intoxicated and then he tried to talk to me - through his haze he was remembering that I was someone's mother and inbetween words I couldn't quite grasp I heard him ask if I'd like a cup of tea and a sandwich.

We continued each in our sides of the garden trying not to look at each other but it is so difficult not to look, he is fascinated by my washing line and my scrubbing of the outside table and I am trying not to look, his belly is still exposed and he is making the sorts of breathing sounds that tell me he is feeling more and more ill and I have to try really hard not to be a mother and tell him to go to bed with a good drink of water.

10 comments:

  1. I am imagining Pooh in his back yard with a honey pot stuck on his nose. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LX - That is the sort of thing I was thinking of too!

      Delete
  2. We also have new neighbours,also 2 young men.Yesterday, they tried out their trail bike.Did you know that the closeness of suburban houses gives trail-biking a splendid reverberation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine - we also have footballers hitting a ball against the neighbour's garage on sunny evenings

      Delete
  3. Has Boris Johnson moved in next door to you?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are two men who are not as young as they'd like to be this could be a very interesting summer, sweetpea, almost like a soap opera or reality show rightnextdoor! ;) xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting up more screening so I don't have to watch it xxxx

      Delete
  5. Maybe you could put up a pinwheel or something so that he would avert his gaze. You do realize you have the makings of a 1970s American sit-com here, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is looking like that Kim, I have some wind chimes that might amuse him

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails