Tuesday, September 1

Das Sein

I'm preparing for this new term that is rushing up to meet me,  ploughing through texts thick with references to the thoughts of dead men: French ones, Greek ones, Austrian ones and then those German ones and their very special words.

I've sought to lighten my load by interleaving the heavy boys with joy, such as a wonderful book called Evocative Objects by Sherry Turkle. Also The School of Life chops the likes of Heidegger and Plato into bite-sized pieces for kindergarten philosophers like me.




The mother thrush is letting her son walk around in our garden, she's up on the fence keeping watch. His head is tatty with the remnants of baby feathers and he looks like a drunken uncle at a wedding party, an impression that deepens when a failed attempt to perch on a flimsy branch has him swaying ninety degrees in each direction before he flops back onto the grass. He doesn't fly away when I walk outside and I can see her bobbing around in panic in case I pick him up and eat him.



On Saturday I set off to meet my step-daughter for lunch, passing her father on my way out.

I was wearing one of my re-knitted woolens - it's hairy orange with a la-di-da collar

I said  I'm going to see your daughter

he said  and I see that you're going dressed as a mad woman

8 comments:

  1. I cooked shrimp last week. It was good. However, now I feel rather inauthentic since it didn't include a philosophical voice-over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might follow a career making philosophical voice-overs for people who need more depth to their supper

      Delete
    2. I might need more depth to my fish finger sandwiches. I look forward to my voice-over :-)
      Sx

      Delete
    3. fish fingers my speciality

      Delete
  2. I think we'd like photographic evidence;we may not share Husband's assessment.

    (I hope you have digs all sorted?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. his daughter didn't share his assessment - her jumper was even madder

      Delete
  3. Isn't 'Madwoman' a clothing line by Britney Spears? Or is that Helena Bonham Carter? GO BLUEJAYS!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails