Thursday, February 27

Fugitive



Today has been gloriously gorgeously sunny and I have spent ninety nine point nine nine percent of it inside in a windowless room.


Yesterday I was given an ugly fawn jumper in merino wool so I put it in a hot turmeric and tea dye bath then I washed it, rinsed it and laid it flat to dry on a towel - it was beautifully evenly the colour of caramel toffee.

Before going setting off for the windowless room, I placed this uglynowbeautiful jumper outside to finish drying.

When I came back home the sunnyside of the jumper had faded back to the ugly colour.

I DID NOT KNOW THIS SORT OF THING CAN HAPPEN AND NOW I DAREN'T EVER WEAR MY FIRST YELLOW JUMPER OUTSIDE IN DAYLIGHT

7 comments:

  1. turmeric does a dandy job of making my hands yellow are you also dying your fingertips? I thought the post below read LADY FLAPS and have been giggling about it all morning until I came back here and corrected myself.
    xor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel I am getting a graduate-level education in wool wrangling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erm...you usually need to "fix" the dye.Depending what the dye consists of, it could be something as simple as salt...I could point you in the direction of useful books if you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's called a mordant and yes I used the correct one. Have since discovered that yellow is notoriously fugitive

      Delete
  4. Yep, the naughty little devil runs like an Olympic sprinter.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails